Monday, July 12, 2010

Beer is for the Birds!

Last Saturday the Sparrow Tavern witnessed a glorious occurrence: the return of draft beer! Due to the slow and painful decline of an antiquated tap system that was
curiously devoid of maintenance panels, the bird had been rocking warm pints of
Guinness on the sole surviving line in the system for the past few months. During the interim, bottles and cans rotated aplenty and specialty cocktails were created to quench your thirst and yet something was missing. Every single customer asked some variation of “what do have on tap?” to which a bartender or server, by then weary of this question, would have to reply “Guinness” followed by the reasoning behind it.



I’ll be honest, I frequent the Sparrow probably too frequently.I myself have never been disappointed by the Sparrow’s beer selection, and am a fan of pretty much anything the bartenders put in front of me.The crisp and cool Bitburger tall boys, in my opinion, are the most popular, followed by Yuengling (which is $4 for Happy Hour) tied with whatever IPA is in stock (Dogfishhead and Lagunitas are popular). Duvel and Chimay Blue sell in spite of their price, which by the way is pretty accurate. Newcastle, some form of cider, a German Hefeweizen, and Abita Light can also be expected.

Enough of the bottles and on to the taps! The tower is beautiful, bronze and yes, it is vintage (but entirely restored and able to be properly maintained!!!). There are ten lines, six are currently in use, two more to follow soon and, if a larger walk-in is ever installed, the bird will have all ten lines. When I went in the other day, Rudy
leaned over the bar and whispered: “the Guinness is pouring like butter”. Next to the Guinness, the lines are as follows: Bluepoint Toasted Lager, Yuengling, Lagunitas IPA, Weihenstephan, and Radeberger. I snagged the first Bluepoint ever to be poured from the new tap and let my taste buds do a little happy dance. Exactly what I wanted to go with my cucumber yogurt dip appetizer and then the crab cake special. A word on the crab cakes: if they are on the menu get them! I <3>


the lovely Shannon with a lovely pint


Sparrow’s 3cubed Film Fest sign up is this Sunday at 8pm, check their website if interested: www.thesparrowtavern.com


They are open for lunch weekdays at 12pm and brunch weekends starting at 10am.



No comments:

Post a Comment