Monday, July 12, 2010

El Fatty and The Beer Wench




Let me first say that Fatty’s was not my intended destination this week. I had new territory to cover which, in my head, was going to be way more exciting than doing another column on a place I’ve been to a million times.In the rush of city life, I too forget to slow down and look again at things I thought I knew.

One of my brunch regulars (and blog readers) told me this Saturday that he has been working at Fatty’s, my favorite brunch spot, for the past few months. I hadn’t seen him there because I honestly can’t say that I have been to Fatty’s since about April. Always my go-to spot to bring out of towners and family to, I associate the joint with too many pineapple mimosas and the smell of mint, paired with amazing polenta cakes. I always forget that when I first ate at Fatty’s I was impressed by the beer, most likely because that particular night I had a little too much of it.
True, the selection is entirely in bottles but I’m a beer wench, not beer snob and happen to know that some things (a) can only exist in bottle form due to fermentation (like Duvel, Chimay Rouge/Blue, most other Trappist ales) and (b) some just taste better like that (Newcastle, in my opinion). The prices are low, low, low my friends and $5 will get you a Tecate and a shot of tequila, if you are so inclined. Five bucks will also get you almost any other beer off the shelf, if not seven bucks will get you a step up on the craft beer ladder, and nine will make you the proud recipient of a Duvel or Chimay (I answered my own damn question from last week!). My partner in crime, Mr. Free, opted for Rogue’s Dead Guy amber ale out of Portland (always a solid choice in my book) and I remained torn between a Lagunitas Pils and a Hitachino White. Hitachino is Belgian style white ale from Japan that is brewed using the Kiuchi brewery’s traditional sake brewing methods. It’s light, flavorful, and perfect for summer but I’ve had it a million times, so I opted for the Pils. While, familiar with Lagunitas IPA, I haven’t ever rocked their pilsner before. Turns out it’s nice and crisp, a good quenching beer to correct the damage that my liberal dousing of hot sauce on my Tostones had done to my taste buds.


Then a terrible thing happened: I ran out of beer. Luckily, Our trusty bartender Brian came to the rescue with his particular favorite: the Troegenator Dopple Bock. I had been intrigued by this beer at first sight, but because of the weather I had placed it on my “try another time list”, let me say I am very glad he forced my glass. Turns out this particular brew just won Gold at the World
Beer Cup (Bluepoint Toasted is also a former medalist). It was malty, it was toasty, and by Fatty it was delicious! The dopplebock historically was used by monks during times of
fasting because of it’s enriched nutrient content, however most clock in at over 8%. This “liquid bread” was all the monks consumed for days on end, and personally after one I’m a little
silly, so I can only imagine what those monasteries must have been like.




I continued to munch on my black bean dip and Mr. Free finished his “Situation” steak sandwich (he was pretty quiet which is always a sure sign of good food) while we pondered our next move for the evening. Personally, I would have been more than happy to hold down my bar stool and continue on down Fatty’s beer list on my way to certain embarrassment, seeing as how it was around 6:30, the sun was still out, and my stumble of shame home would have been a good 15 minute walk. Free, however, had been invited to a back yard party up on 30th drive, and they had a pool. Off we went to our next adventure, but don’t worry Fatty’s I won’t neglect you again.

Fatty's does weekend brunch (that includes a mimosa, bloody mary, or limeade) and weeknights dinner and drinks. They also host rotating art from local artists!
www.fattyscafenyc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment